Saturday, June 2, 2012

When did we end up in Disneyland?

Progress update:

Hiking through the intense desert  part one complete. This involves lots of night hiking, doing 28-35 mile days and sleeping for close to 12 hours when you finally get into town. I am currently in Mojave a little east of the trail but basically mile 558. Even though the sun has been murderous in this leg of the journey, I must admit that it has been one of my favorite legs of the trip so far.

This leg started off with me being able to be an ULDB (Ultra Light Douche Bag) followed by the Anderson's who are also known as Casa de Luna. There I did some of the most intense chilling in my life. Casa de Luna is often referred to as a hiker black hole , where you come in and end up staying a week to a month. Everyday is very relaxed with good people, beer, painting rocks, food, Frisbee golf, and more. I was able to hang out with old friends on trail and meet many new ones. I ended up leaving Casa de Luna after three days and two nights which is considered quick by most hikers, but when the trail calls you listen.

 I am also hiking with a completely different group of people this leg of my journey. My old crew did not want to convert to the midnight marauder strategy of hiking like myself. So a new friend on trail, (Jugs...it's about as dirty as Bladder Pillow) who is probably one of the coolest people I have met thus far, and I started hiking the night.

This strategy of hiking can be a tough one. at night you want to sleep and it's difficult to do so during the day. The big plus side is no sun. Our first night from Casa de Luna we did about 16 miles (1 am) to camp. We then tried to do a "short" stretch in the cool morning and ended up doing 10ish miles for water. Exhausted  and hot we took a siesta until it cooled and did another 10 miles to water. Here at a place called Hiker Town we met up with other hikers, took a small break and pushed onwards into the night. This time we were accompanied with Candy Man and Woodey two of Jug's hiker family. We ended up pushing till midnight and let exhaustion take over and called our day done at 28ish miles...big mistake.

Where we were was the valley floor and the sun was brutal by 7am and murderous by 10am. After getting to shade where it was a cool 97.5 degrees we sat down drank, slept, and ate only moving if needed. During that time we all decided that pulling a 35 mile day (hiking for another 25 miles after the 10 we just did) was preferable to the sun we just experienced. So at 7pm we pushed, and finally by 4:30 in the pre dawn morning we arrive at Oak Spring road for a hitch.

As I said, even then, the sun was amazingly hot, doing that section at night was gorgeous, and made this section very enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! Night hikes are some of the best. i look foward to doing some new moon and full moon hikes this summer.

    Keep it up and I'll see you in Oregon.

    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete