Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The high Sierras part two: Muir Pass

How to describe Muir pass, it's hard. Well to start, La Conte valley that leads to Muir pass is nothing short of amazing.

 As I said before the high Sierras is a series of climbing one pass, walking through a glorious valley and then climbing the next pass. Well La Conte valley is by far the most beautiful section of trail I have hiked thus far. It starts at two very beautiful lakes after Mather pass. Just when you think the morning can't get any better you come to the top of Bishop Pass. Walking north bound you don't have to climb Bishop, just descend. However the view from Bishop into La Conte valley is astounding. To either side of you is granite cliffs where you can see water cascading down to the valley floor. In the middle is clear evidence of glaciation because the valley is U shaped. As you come into La Conte you are greeted by old growth forests that are alive with birds and mammals. Your hike moves parallel a creek that tumbles over rocks creating fantastic waterfalls. The water is always clear, cold and delicious. It is difficult to walk because the sights are so impressive. Then when you come to the climb up Muir pass you are struck with an odd combination of feelings. On e one hand it is clearly the best sights of the trip. On the other hand you are climbing 3,500 plus feet over seven miles on what feels like a never ending ascent. False peak after false peak the trail never seems to come to a summit. Then after one last ice covered lake there it is, Muir hut. Built in honor of John Muir this hut is at the very top and a welcome sight for any hiker. I know for fact that words and photos are incapable of capturing how truly amazing this section of trail was, but trust me when I say this will be one of the top highlights of the trail and the the John Muir Trail is worth hiking just for this valley.  

Right now I am at Vermillion Valley Resort. This completes the long stint in the backwoods...sort of. I can't post until Mammoth in 30 miles but here is where civilization is and my resupply. The plan was to take this section slow and only do 15 mile days...but Jugs and I have averaged close to 20+, so life goes. I know all to soon I will be in Northern Cali and I will be missing the sights here. Before that happens though I will get to see Yosemite and I know that will be amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment