Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The high Sierras part three: The blow down

Well in case you haven't noticed I am still alive and kicking. Today I rolled into Mammoth another ski town about nine miles off trail. Granted I had to hike in four of those miles, but I am here and I am fed. You may have also noticed that it's been a while since I updated. Well there was no way I was going to allow myself to be contacted by the outside world while I was in the sierras.

The stretch from VVR  to Mammoth was a challenging one but absolutely beautiful. During my 25 mile day yesterday there was about 10,000ft of elevation change, three passes climbed and many trees across the trail.

For those of you who don't know there was a huge windstorm in the sierras last winter. I'm talking about 180mph wind storms. This has led to large sections of forest to be blown down. The worst of it is at Reds Meadow where 2/3 of the trees went down. Granted the forest looked like it went through a bad burn in that section, but that's not the point  the point is trail crews kick ass. Yes I had to navigate around some tree fall and yes it got exciting. But where the trees are the worst (like ten feet high of blow down) the trail has been cleared by the hard working trail crews.

Of course the cleanup is a work in progress which means I had to hike into town vs take a bus, but it is worth it. The trail is wonderful, resting feels fabulous, and someday I will upload a butt load of photos. For now I will keep waiting for the trolley.

No comments:

Post a Comment