Saturday, May 26, 2012

By the beard of Zeus!

Progress update:

Agua Dulce: mile 454 if this were Oregon I would be finished right now, but it's California so I have about another 1,300 mile to go...this is a really big state. I am currently at a trail angels place known as Hiker Haven aka the Soufley's yet another instance of amazing people on trail.

I am currently hiking just ahead of the peak in the parabola for hiker density, but I am also at the tail end of my hiker wave so when I was nearing Hiker Haven I heard  it was full, but in true trail angel style the farm next door opened up to us and I was given a couch to sleep on, free food and permission to forge berry's eat fresh eggs, and drink whole unpasteurized goats milk. I also got a much needed shower/clothes washing. I can't say it enough, we hikers are spoiled.

I have also traded in my acics shoes after only a month of use because they were destroyed. Another angel named Ted took us into town to a REI for the refit, later I will do my Sierra shopping and then it's time to go to the Anderson's (another trail angel) for a memorial day party, and rumor has it that they can party there.

This leg has also made for a rather interesting trail highlight. Due to poodle dogbush detours we ended up on a 15 plus mile road walk. This walk went through a major section of the station fire burn. While walking I
definitely felt a sense of somber from all the dead forest, but what really caught me off guard was the LA fire camp. When I was walking on the road that was falling apart from all the heat damage during the fire I came across a memorial. This was for two firefighters who died during the fire, one of which was the fire marshal. I thought it was strange at first because that isn't a front line person but then I saw the camp. The devastation was surreal. It felt akin to a post apocalyptic ghost town. This was a complex that was big enough to be a small town and it was utterly destroyed. With much curiosity I explored the area and eventually moved on. It will definitely be something that will remember for a while.

Life is good and I am still kicking ass and taking names.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, Gio! I just rediscovered your blog and read all of your back entries. Now I have to figure out where you are on a map of the PCT so I can "follow" your route online (which reminds me of tracking the Iditarod racers back in the 4th grade, but I digress)
    I love your writing style and seeing your hiker's thoughts and how many calories you consume (lol). And it's wonderful that there are angels out there taking care of you guys. Keep it up, and know that we're all rooting for you!! It's so awesome to see you actually doing the things you dreamed about back before ODS ! :)

    ReplyDelete