Monday, May 21, 2012

Back at scene 34...

Progress update:

Well I have made it to Writewood mile 370. Soon I will stop going west and continue north again...There are times when you feel like the makers of this trail were twisted. Life is good, the views are amazing, company enjoyable, and my feet are in constant agony.
This leg of the trail I finally started pushing for 20 miles a day. For the most part it is very doable, however my feet are not as tough as I would like them to be. This has led to many fun and exciting blisters that cause me to limp around camp at the end of the day. This is also known as the "hiker shuffle."

This leg of the journey has had many highlights but the two best parts were hitting first hot springs on trail and as much as I hate to admit it McDonald's. The hot springs was a funny situation. When I was at kick off back in April we were told about a detour at Deep Creek because a bridge was "unsafe." At first I was very supportive about following the rules, but every story I kept hearing, as my travels took me closer to Deep Creek, was "the bridge is fine." The more I heard the the less enticing the detour sounded because it was a road walk instead of the PCT. Then I found out a very important piece of information they failed to mention at kick off. The PCT takes you to a hot springs where the detour does not. Well the decision turn right and go to hot springs was simple enough to make. When I finally did get to the bridge in question I found out the it was so "broken" that the work crew fixing it was standing on the bridge AND using it as their anchor to rappel down the the creek and grab water to mix their concrete.

As for the McDonald's all I can say it was there and delicious. I may or may not have eaten 4 mcdoubles, 1 mcchicken, 1 lrg fries, 1 ice cream cone, 1 mcflurry, and 4 lrg sodas during my seven hours of sitting by Cajone Pass...and yes it was worth it.

As I said we have about 80 miles until we go north again. It is also where we meet the trail angels known as the Anderson's (aka Casa de Luna). Apparently that is where the party is at. Now I am off to shower and probably eat more.

1 comment:

  1. I saw a picture of some McDonald hamburgers that were 25 years old..

    They still looked as delicious as you make them sound here.

    Props.

    ~ KP

    ReplyDelete