Saturday, August 18, 2012

You shot the invisable man!

When the trail goes up I go up, when the trail goes down I go down. Not only is that a mantra I constantly repeat to myself to keep me hiking, but it is also a metaphor moods. I just came off a low point of my hike that essentially lasted from Ashland to Shelter Cove. The illness I was battling and my worst mistake on trail (hiking in Chaco's) made the first half of Oregon really challenging.

Thankfully and somewhat ironically this was also the easiest part of the PCT terrain wise. I am very glad the terrain was what it was for I don't know if I could have hiked if it was like the Sierras. On the flip side, I could have hiked so far so fast in good shoes and illness free!
Well now I am waiting for Poulo at Big Lake Youth Camp and I can happily report that I am in amazing spirits. Luckily in Shelter Cove I ran into trail magic. Which always improves ones mood. Especially when it involves a wonderful person named Roadrunner and his lovely wife making us hikers burgers, pancakes, eggs, coffee, and most importantly brownies. They also helped me to treat my feet and gave me enough ibuprofen so that I could hike. My feet were actually swelling pretty badly.

On the next day I slowed my pace and saw many beautiful lakes that I wished I could have swam in though I had no time and well mosquitoes. But the day after things started to really get nice. My health had improved and spirits lifted as I made a last minute decision to go Elk Lake resort where I got a tasty beer and a delicious (though expensive) burger. The best part was they had great internet so I was able to download a ton of podcasts. I now have more than enough episodes for Science Friday, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, All Songs Considered, and We're Alive (zombie apocalypse radio drama...amazing!) to keep me entertained until Portland.

After leaving Elk Lake this leg really became fun. I had great entertainment which helps pass the time. I was hiking in the Three Sisters wilderness so I had views again, and hiking with a hiker (Andrew) so I had great conversation as well. The lava fields by sisters are out of control and I highly recommend checking them out.

Well now I am at Big Lake Youth Camp and the staff have been nothing but charitable to me. I will later eat dinner and lunch and have high hopes for both, but for now I will take a shower and clean my clothes while I wait for Poulo.

Who is bringing me back my Keens thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment