Sunday, October 14, 2012

Trail Thoughts: Reflections

My last Trail Thought for the PCT. I originally had many of these planned, however I was too bogged down by trivial things like hiking to sit and write them up. BUT I have my last one.

It has been over a month since I was on trail and I am happy to report that many of my friends of old made it off trail and were in Canada when they finished. My love and congratulations go out to all of them. I am also glad to report that Gourmet is safe and sound.  During my time back home I have had plenty of opportunities to think and process my trail experience. For me trail was not a grand life changing experience. Much of trail life was living in the moment which is something I am accustomed to. However trail life was something I did enjoy immensely. Not all of it but much of it.

Things I like about Trail:
  • The people the people and did I mention the people.
  • Walking into a grocery store and thinking "I could eat everything."
  • Waking up in a new beautiful location every day. 
  • How in tune I became with my body and understanding my ebbs and flows.
  • The confidence I gained in myself in setting a monumental goal and completing it.
  • My new found appreciation for sitting.  
  • Trail Magic
  • Scenic deuces/urine extraction
  • Ending every day feeling accomplished
  • Dance parties on trail
  • getting away from the masses of humanity and social taboos
Things I enjoyed less
  • The lack of time enjoying nature considering I spent 4.5 months out of doors.
  • The pressure from hiker instinct that made me feel the need to push on day after day.
  • Mosquitoes, poison oak and poodle dogbush
  • having my hips, feet and knees ache
  • having to pass up side trails or fabulous camping due to the need for miles. 
  • Tripping over every single possible root or rock my toes could find. 
In the words of Macho Taco, through hiking is very similar to a marathon for hikers. There is great distance and you push yourself to the limits. The tradeoff for all of this is you get a limited experience of the wilderness you are in. I know that there is much of the Trinity Alps that I did not see that are supposedly fabulous. I also have seen parts of Mt. Hood and the Columbia River George that the PCT never looks at and it makes me think "how much did I miss?" I know I will someday hike the JMT (John Muir Trail) because I want to spend more time in the High Sierras exploring it. 

I have struggled with the question of "do I want to go on another through hike?" And the answer is I am not sure. I was thinking "no" when I originally got off trail, but after talking to some old PCT friends I began to miss that lifestyle and now the thought of hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) is gaining appeal. On the other hand I want to do things like make money, pay off student loans and what not. I know my days of adventuring are far from over. I still have New Zealand and many places in India, Asia, south America and Europe I need to explore. So will I hike again? Probably. Will it be similar as my PCT experience? I have no idea.

What I do know is that being at Outdoor Science School is keeping me outside and adding my passion for teaching. I'm not going to lie, walking around in the woods looking for the remains of a deer carcass I put out there is pretty amazing. I also know I have spent the last six months of the year 2012 outside and I need to make sure 2013 is just as good if not better. What lies in my future is unknown, but if I smell adventure in the wind I will go where the it takes me.

Before I end my final PCT post (for I will start anew with my next exploit) I want to give thanks to all of my supporters during my adventure:
  • Everyone at the SCC, you guys gave me a chance and I can't thank you enough
  • Mom and Papi. Who supported me every step of the way
  • Other friends and family for your encouragement
  • Every single trail angle. The work you do, giving me food, rides, shelter if not for you I would not have made it. 
  •  Everyone else who I am probably forgetting. Thank you all 

Well until my next big adventure...


No comments:

Post a Comment