Sunday, July 1, 2012

The High Sierras part four: On to Tuolumne

Being in Mammoth was an interesting experience. Not because of the town, I actually liked the town (yet another ski town and the runs looked pretty fantastic) , but because of being back in civilization. I really appreciated being out in the woods away from television, cars and marketing. So to come into a town where it's everywhere was over stimulating. That said the bakery in town was amazing.

After I left Mammoth I had one more pass before entering Yosemite. I left alone because Jugs wanted to wait for some friends who were behind us. But the hike was yet again beautiful. The first thing I came across was the Post Pile national monument. It a basaltic rock formation where the basalt cools slowly giving the rocks a columned look. If you haven't seen it before it is pretty neat, and I'll admit that it is a better example of columnar basalt than I have ever seen, but living near the Columbia River George it's nothing new to me.

The lakes coming up to and over the pass were also something else. My favorite was 1,000 Islands lake that was, as you guessed, a lake full of islands. The real treat however was finally coming into Yosemite. This has been a point of interest for me for a very long time and being able to walk in an open flat valley up to the Tuolumne campground was a nice way to end that leg of the journey. However I did not realize the challenges that Yosemite had in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment